Thursday, April 26, 2012

One Hundred Thirteen

113. One hundred thirteen. That was my morning blood sugar on Day 4 of this low fat vegan food plan. If you are familiar with diabetes, you know that this is an great number for someone in transition to lower, normal, blood sugar.

It means the low fat vegan food plan is working. That means there aren't little sugar crystals roaming through my body stabbing my nerves. I am both relieved and amazed that different food can do this.

Today I had the scones I made the other day for breakfast. For lunch I had whole grain pasta with black beans for topping. I liked it so much I had it for dinner!

Now, because it is time to have something to write about and something for breakfast, I am making Banana Oat Muffins. I used rye flour and almond milk because that is what I had on hand and left out the raisins and dates.

Those bananas I found yesterday are being transformed into something new!


The muffins are dense and moist. The molasses turned them a chocolate color. I had mine with a bit of guava paste.

Banana Oat Muffins

Makes 12 muffins

These quick and delicious muffins contain no added fat and cholesterol.

2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour or unbleached all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups quick-cooking oats or oat bran
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 medium ripe bananas, mashed
1 1/2 cups soymilk
2 tablespoons vinegar
1/2 cup molasses
1/2 cup chopped dates or rainsins
1 vegetable oil spray
Preheat oven to 375°F.

Mix flour, oats or oat bran, and baking soda and make a well in the center. Add bananas, soymilk, vinegar, molasses, and dates or raisins. Stir together just to mix. Spoon batter into lightly vegetable oil sprayed or non-stick muffin tins and bake for 25 minutes, or until tops bounce back when pressed lightly.
Per muffin

Calories: 203
Fat: 1.7 g
Saturated Fat: 0.3 g
Calories from Fat: 7.3%
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Protein: 5.8 g
Carbohydrates: 44.1 g
Sugar: 16 g
Fiber: 4.8 g
Sodium: 129 mg
Calcium: 82 mg
Iron: 2.3 mg
Vitamin C: 1.9 mg
Beta Carotene: 8 mcg
Vitamin E: 0.8 mg
Source: Food for Life by Neal Barnard, M.D.; recipe by Jennifer Raymond, M.S., R.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment