Monday, April 30, 2012

Oatmeal and the Plan



This was breakfast yesterday. I took a half cup of uncooked oatmeal, and one peeled and sliced apple, and 2 Tablespoons of raisins, and a half teaspon of cinammon and put it all in a big Pyrex bowl. Then I added one and a half cups of water and a pinch of salt and mixed it all up. I microwaved it for four minutes or so. Then I scooped it all out onto a plate and had it for breakfast. It was warm, chewy, carby and sweet enough.

Once again I felt like I had eaten a virtuous breakfast, one that could stand along amongst donuts and waffles with maple syrup.It hit all the sweet spots and left no cravings whatsoever.My blood sugar continues to remain normal, and I've lost a real pound.

All this in a week of eating a low fat vegan diet.To answer one of my friends, I am on a vegan diet with a low fat plan. That means I use very little added oil and for now, avoid the high fat favorites (avocados and nuts).

I love dairy and I love meat, but every other food plan leaves a part where I miss carbohydrates very much, so I am just sticking to this one until I get to my goal.Of all the food plans I have tried, this is the one which gives me the most volume and I do not feel deprived at all.

Back in the early 80's I was a vegetarian (and a thin one at that), I ate a lot of beans and rice, our local pizzeria had whole wheat pizza. At the time I lived in Philadelphia in West Philly. There was an interesting religious hotel called The Divine Tracy. For very little money, you could eat a vegetarian lunch for around $2.50. For that bit of money, you would get a huge plate of lentils, rice, soup and a creative "meat" loaf. It was filling and fun, as we would speculate about the lives of the placid faced ladies with hair nets who doled out the food.

I can't remember when I fell off the vegetarian food plan (I suspect it had something to do with fried chicken), but like all things where you fall away, one day I woke up to leftovers of pot roast.I miss meat, but I miss health more. I'm no good at counting and measuring and all the mental maintenance a diet takes. If you want to know more here is my reading list.

Dr. Neal Barnard - Reversing Diabetes

Dr. Dean Ornish - Eat More, Weigh Less

Dr. John McDougall - Maximum Weight Loss Solution

Dr. Joel Furhmann - Eat to Live!

Kathy Hoshijo - Kathy Cooks

Dr. Terry Shintani - The Hawaii Diet

Rip Esseltynn - The Engine Diet

Of the food plans listd, Dr. Shintani allows fish, and Dr. Ornish allows non-fat dairy.

I hope someone in my situation (diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes and hypertension), in a busy life that feels something like a runaway train, with lots and lots of celebration to deal with, finds this blog.

If you are like me, and wonder if it is possible to reverse this state of disease - take heart. It is. It is actually really easy. You will never be hungry, you'll eat all healthy food, and you will see improvements very quickly. I'm writing this blog to cheer myself on. I come from an incredibly food focused family on both sides.

My own household is very supportive. I will say it again, I have seen firsthand the tragic and terrible toll of diabetes. I don't ever want to go there. I had my youngest child when I was 41. I'm doing this for me, for my husband (who has longevity in his family), and most of all for my children, so that we can enjoy life for as long as we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment