Friday, April 27, 2012

Day 5

Blood sugar was great again this morning. So I thoroughly enjoyed yesterday's muffins with a little bit of Baguio strawberry jam. Lunch was an encore of the black beans with whole grain pasta.

Then dinner beckoned. I decided to try my hand at the vegan adobo my daughter invented. Now, dear reader, you must know that Adobo - chicken or pork is the quintessential Filipino dish. Garlicky, tart, oily adobo is the perfect accompaniment to hot rice.

Being a low fat vegan is a challenge when one wishes for adobo. So, this is what I do. I did it a few years ago when in the same situation. One makes adjustments for the greater good.

At this moment it is better for me to strictly adhere to the food plan. If I can't have chicken and pork adobo, I can still have MOST of the things I crave, the tart and garlicky sauce, the meat like taste of savory something.

The savory something is the seitan. This is an easy recipe. It turned out quite nicely.

Here is the recipe:

2 cans of seitan (or Mock Duck Vegetarian)
2 cloves of garlic
2 T of soy sauce
2 T of vinegar (ideally coconut, but red wine is OK)
2 t of coconut oil
1 cup of vegetable boullion (that would be half a cube)
black pepper bay leaf
1 T of coconut powder (from the Asian market)

Make the boullion, cool it down and add the tablespoon of coconut powder. Cut the seitan into pieces. Crush the garlic and brown in the coconut oil. Add the seitan and move it around the pan. Add soy sauce, vinegar, and broth mixture. Simmer for 20 minutes and serve with hot rice. (I use brown rice).


No comments:

Post a Comment