Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Home made Longanisa- ish Food




My great grandmother, Rosenda Gonzales, of Bacolor Pamapanga made so much longanisa to sell when my grandfather was in college in the USA, that my Auntie Mody said it could have wrapped the world a few times. Longanisa is the Filipino sausage of memory.

I can't eat it while I'm eating a low fat vegan food plan.

Today I went on an internet search for "vegan longanisa" and was rewarded with several videos and recipes. I watched one recipe and then set out to make my own.

It was really easy...too easy. Goodbye Morningstar, hello home made!

Set your oven to 375 degrees.

Ingredients:

1 block firm lite tofu (I'm counting fat grams)
1/2 shitake mushrooms chopped finely. (I used about half a packed of shrooms).
1 T Bragg's aminos
1 T garlic powder
1 T onion powder
3 T Potato Flour (a Bob's Red Mill product)
1 package Hain Fat Free Brown Gravy
1 t ground pepper
1 T brown sugar
PAM baking spray

Start with the tofu, mash it into smithereens. Add in the mushrooms and all the other ingredients one by one mixing very well. You want something that looks like a homogeneous mess.

Spray a cookie sheet with Pam. Grab a handful of the mix and patty-cake it into a nice little disc. Line them up nicely on the cookie tin. Give the top surfaces a quick spray with the Pam. Put it in the oven for about 35-45 minutes. Flip them over half way through, to brown the other side.

Oh Yum! I had it with a PERFECT condiment. CJ Bibijo Hot and Spicy Korean Barbecue Sauce. Here's the link http://www.cjfoods.com/ I had mine with brown rice.

A highly delicious and virtuous low fat vegan meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment